1. ALWAYS BE WILLING TO DO MORE THAN YOUR SHARE
Empty the dishwasher, even though you did it last time.
Take out the trash just because the wastebasket is full.
2. NEVER SAY AN UNCOMPLIMENTARY THING ABOUT A FAMILY MEMBER ---ESPECIALLY BEHIND HIS OR HER BACK
Live the Golden Rule --- do you want them to slam you?
Most of us have not overcome ego, so words do hurt us.
3. AGREE, AS A FAMILY, TO LIMIT MEALTIME CONVERSATIONS TO “HIGHLIGHTS”
Positive thoughts give positive emotions, aid digestion and bring happiness.
Mealtime is not the time to deal with negativity --- there is time for that later.
4. PARTICIPATE IN FAMILY ACTIVITIES EVEN WHEN INCONVENIENT
The family that plays together stays together.
“Let your child out” and enjoy the board game --- you will be glad you did!
5. CREATE ONE-TO-ONE TIME WITH EACH FAMILY MEMBER
Family therapists strongly advocate this activity.
The only rule --- It is “off the table” to talk about other family members.
6. NEVER BE LATE OR ABSENT FROM A FAMILY EVENT FOR TRIVIAL REASONS
Your future quality of life will be influenced by the relationship with your family.
7. FROM TIME TO TIME GO TO YOUR SPOUSE OR OTHER FAMILY MEMBER AND ASK: “WHAT COULD I DO TO MAKE OUR RELATIONSHIP BETTER FOR YOU?”
If you like what you hear great! If you don’t just say, “Let me think about that!”